All 2,000+ gas wells in Origin Energy’s Integrated Gas business portfolio are equipped with 50+ sensors each, providing a rich data set of real-time data – over 200 million reads per day. Unifying, analyzing, and deriving operational value from those data, in conjunction with petabytes of data in other siloed enterprise systems, is extremely difficult. To help the enterprise solve this challenge, Origin selected C3 IoT on AWS.
The initial 12-week project was to develop two AI / machine learning applications targeted to achieve specific operational goals:
- Well Equipment Health (C3 Predictive Maintenance): Predict and optimize the run-life of installed Progressive Cavity Pumps based on machine learning models that detect failure parameters and optimize equipment design choices for each well.
- Well Output Forecasting (on the C3 IoT Platform): Predict output of individual wells before drilling commences, optimize well placement by accurately detecting low-producing wells, and identify parameters that maximize well output.
Project results included:
- Single, unified data image with all relevant data: A unified, federated, cloud based data image was built by integrating data from sources including hourly and daily sensor measurements from each well, drilling logs, geology estimates, permeability assessments, well work logs, equipment asset records, among others.
- Single master data schema: Data complexity was overcome through the creation of a single, consistent data schema. Previously, each source system codified individual wells differently or used different terms to refer to similar entities.
- Codification of insights from experienced development and sub-surface engineers: Insights available informally within the organization were captured in an application, resulting in the best response across the organization.
- Data and insights converted into a usable enterprise application with predictive models: A set of integrated analytic modeling, application logic, and visualizations with integration to other enterprise systems, enabled rapid development and deployment of insights to the field.
Since the end of the initial project, Origin has deployed one production application to monitor and recommend optimal sub-surface equipment. Further, Origin has standardized on the C3 IoT Platform for AI and IoT application development – creating a team of data scientists, application engineers, and data architects working with the business to design, build, deliver, and operate the next ten AI and IoT applications for the company.
Together, Origin and C3 IoT have moved from an initial trial to a comprehensive deployment of the C3 IoT Platform to help achieve Origin’s operational and cost savings goals.